Tuesday, July 29, 2014

When I Grow Up I'm Going to be...

Hello Friends,

My mum and dad are in the midst of cleaning house in preparation for a major renovation project. This means old schoolwork collected throughout the years is being unearthed in an attempt to decide what to keep and what to toss. Revisiting some of this material has been entertaining, to say the least. This post was inspired by a picture contained within one of these giant rubbermaid tubs.

The picture was titled "When I Grow Up I'm Going to be...". On the page was a stick figure princess standing on a stage holding a microphone. There were music notes floating all around the princess' head and there were a bunch of semi-circles in front of the stage (which I can only assume were either empty chairs or the back of the heads of audience- I'm going to go with the latter). Underneath the picture read as follows:

"Famous" - Amanda, 6.



Haha. While most of my peers were aspiring to be police officers, veterinarians, lawyers, teachers and farmers, I was going to be FAMOUS! I can only imagine the chuckles my parents (and teachers) had upon seeing most of my (art)work from grade school, as there really seemed to be a theme throughout that box of memories.

I've always had a knack for being dramatic and I attribute my love of the theatrical side of life to my being the younger middle child in a family of all girls. It was either stand-out or get lost in the Je-Suz-Jil-whatever-the-heck-your-name-is chaos of everyday life.

Mum- It's Mandy by the way.

Despite only getting my name right one in ten times, my parents were remarkably adept at encouraging my dreams and facilitating my goals. Voice lessons, dance and choir were added to my extra-curricular calendar and at the ripe old age of 7, I felt like I was well on my way to stardom! I would climb up onto those risers, or stand proudly in front of those church pews, or strut out onto that stage (in what would be my future highschool's auditorium) and just give it my all. Whether it was dance or singing (or both!) I would never hold back, always performing like the world's talent scouts were out there watching and waiting in the wings to pluck me from the farm and take me to wherever it is talent scouts take "the next big thing". Haha, the wild imagination of a little girl.

21 years have passed since I boldly etched out those letters (FAMOUS) underneath a stick figure version of myself and I can say that while I may not be a household name, I have created many opportunities to live out this fantasy version of my future. In fact, I couldn't help but notice the resemblance of my drawing to this gem that was snapped during my second year performing in the University of Toronto's Medical School Musical "Daffydil".


The funny thing is, that while I may have long given up on my dreams of stardom, becoming a mum to a toddler has allowed me to experience celebrity status. In a way, mummyhood has made me famous.

- I have a stage name, "Mummy"
It's cool like Madonna, no last name

- I have an entourage wherever I go
Doing everyday errands with a toddler on your hip increases your awesome factor by 1000% "Look at that mum bagging those green onions with a baby on her hip, how freakin' cool is she?!" 

- I have people (or a person) that look(s) to me for answers, information and the what's-what
Those are whales on your shorts. Whales live in the ocean. Whales are super "in" this summer.

- Improv shows are a part of my daily life
Lunchtime isn't complete without my most boistrous version of the Bubbleguppies theme song.

- I get applauded multiple times a day
Loading the dishwasher, "Yay! Clap for Mummy"
Folding the laundry, "Yay! Clap for Mummy"
Paying for groceries, "Yay! Clap for Mummy"
Picking K's blocks out of places they were too big to fit in,"Yay! Clap for Mummy"

- I wear sunglasses almost all the time
Albeit they're mostly to hide the super dark bags under my eyes. 

- Any time I'm invited to an event/outing, I have to check with "my people" before I can confirm
 Ooo, that falls within naptime, but maybe we can push it to 3o'clock? I'll see what he's like at 2. 

- I'm always expected to be in character (as mummy), and it is utterly disappointing to my biggest fan (K) if I break character even for a minute
"Wait?! Why are you kissing Daddy?! Stop that. You're myyyyyy Mummy!" But I suppose it'd be like seeing Will Farell in a period piece drama- weird. 

All in all, I must say, "fame" really is all it's cracked up to be. If I could go back to 6 year old me, I'd tell her to shoot for the moon, sing for those stars and don't be so disappointed that those scouts never showed up. You will land the best gig in town and you will have an audience that never tires of your act.

Until next time my friends!

- A

Beachin' with my entourage!















No comments:

Post a Comment