Friday, July 11, 2014

A Waste of Time and Money

Hi Friends,

All too often, I enter into a conversation about my schooling, only to be asked "Wow, now that you're at home full-time, wasn't doing all that school a complete waste of time and money?"

Short answer. No. 

And (for those of you who would prefer a more detailed explanation) here's why...

Years One to Four:


1. I met the man (read: outrageously-outgoing, crazy party-animal) I would fall in love with and marry, and who would become the most amazing father to our little man. I also met my bestest friend in the whole world, who would become my maid of honour. A number of other amazing friends were also picked up along the way (all of whom I hope will be in my life for the next 50 or so years).

We were babies!
2. I fell in love with learning all over again. Like the kind of love I had in kindergarten when my day consisted of finger-painting, number-tracing and snacks! And while I developed a love-hate relationship with research papers, I had nothing but love for the research that was contained within those 500-5000 words. 
Research is fun!
3. I increased my financial literacy by 1000%. It's amazing how organized and driven you become when you realize the amount of money you receive from OSAP doesn't keep a roof over your head or groceries in the fridge (or beer and tequila shots in your belly). Therefore, working part-time and full-time hours were squeezed into my already full academic and social calendar (it's amazing how much partying a girl of 20 can still fit in). 
This little coffee maker was my best friend
4. I ended 4 years older than I began. My brain matured, along with my goals, hopes, dreams, expectations and ambitions. When introduced to Occupational Therapy in my fourth year, I was able to appreciate how it could combine my interests in healthcare and health promotion and passion for research, and aptly decided to persue a Master's in the field. 
Still going strong after 8 years!
Years Five and Six: 

1. I moved downtown Toronto with my handsome boyfriend (who throughout the two years would become my fiance and then husband). We learned how to live small and appreciate every square foot (all 500 of them). I re-learned how to grocery shop sans car (it's amazing how heavy a cart full of groceries can be... rookie mistake) and take big city transit (the subway isn't nearly as scary as it first seemed). Over the course of these 2 years (and the 2 following) I fell in love with the big city and all of it's hustle and bustle. It's a magical place that I wouldn't have discovered, had we not been forced into moving there for school.
Ah.. young love in the city! Haha

2. I studied Occupational Therapy and while most of my family and friends still have only a vague idea of what Occupational Therapy (OT) is. I can tell you it is an amazing profession, full of amazing people making a world of difference in the lives of countless people. For anyone interested in learning more about OT you can click here. While I'm not currently working as an OT, I apply my OT knowledge and skills almost daily (it's amazing how much of our "Pediatric Feeding and Swallowing unit" applies to mealtime at the Robertson's). This degree also solidified my love for research and teaching and has set the stage for future pursuit of a PhD (why settle for one Dr. in the house when you could have two!)
5 months pregnant at Convocation, thank goodness for big degrees!
3. I ended 2 years older then I was when I began. My brain matured, along with my goals, hopes, dreams, expectations and ambitions. When D and I discussed starting a family in my sixth year, I was able to appreciate how it could it change our lives for the better. One year later we welcomed K! While I anticipated that mummyhood would modify my goals, hopes, dreams, expectations and ambitions, nothing could prepare me for the way it would change my priorities. I never imagined that I would choose "homemaking" (I hate that term) over entering the workforce, but it is a decision I have made consciously and after much thoughtful contemplation. I also appreciate that while I've chosen to enter into the wonderful world of SAHMummyhood the ebb and flow of life will undoubtedly continue to modify my goals and shift my priorities. 
Our little family!
So no. There is no amount of money that could replace or negate the learning, growing and memories that my six years of post-secondary afforded me. Also, not a single minute of those 6 years (and the 2 that have followed) has been "wasted" as each second combines to create the life I am living and loving right now.

Until next time my friends,

-A







No comments:

Post a Comment