Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Vows

Hello Friends,

Three years ago today, I married my best friend. Happy Anniversary D! As I reflect on how much has changed for us between then and now (K, new jobs, new city), I marvel at how much has stayed the same (we are both still extremely good-looking!). I re-read my wedding vows today for the first time since becoming a mum. As I reflected on how these vows have shaped our first three years of wedded bliss, I was surprised at how readily they apply to my approach to mummyhood.

As mums (and dads), we are not required to make vows to our children. There are no formal ceremonies for us to state publicly how we will approach our role as parents. However, I feel that there should be, given that parenting is not so much a skill as it is a lifelong relationship. While most of us probably parent with unspoken vows driving our interactions with our children, I think it's important to openly acknowledge them as a means to parental accountability. Being a parent, like being a husband or wife can be hard sometimes. It's definitely not all sunshine and roses, and having something tangible to reflect upon during those turbulent times may make all the difference. After all, if K is anything like his mum, there will be many a "for better or for worse" in our future!

So without further adieu, my vows to the two most important people in my life;


D (K),

You are the most amazing person I have ever met. 
Your brains and your brawn are but a small piece of the amazingness that is you. 
You care so deeply for everything you do and everyone you meet, and for that I truly admire you. 
You help me to be the best I can be, by supporting me when I’m unsure and challenging me when I am confident.

I love you so much and as your best friend (mum),

I promise to encourage your dreams and do my very best to help you realize them
I promise to build a strong home with (for) you, where we can continue to learn from and grow with each other
I promise to share my whole world with you and never take you for granted
I promise to stand by your side through life’s ups and downs, and love you unconditionally.

I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life waking up next to you (watching you grow). 
I’m so excited to start our new life together and even more excited to start it as your wife (mum).

I love you.  


Until next time my friends,  

- A

Still feelin' it three years later!



No comments:

Post a Comment