Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Med Student for a Daddy: Part One: On the Move

Hello Friends,

It has been a busy week! Just over a week ago, D found out he would be doing his 5 week family medicine rotation at RVH in Barrie, a rotation that started yesterday. Lucky for us, D has a wonderful Aunt who just happened to have a basement apartment empty for the month of August, and an added bonus is the fact that our underground parking garage ramp will be closed with no access to the garage Aug 1st-Sept 1st, so now we don't have to find (and pay for) somewhere to park our car! So after a week of hectic preparations we loaded up the car with our little family and trucked up HWY 400 to Barrie.

As most parents will tell you going anywhere with a baby is quite the production. Considering it takes me a solid 1/2 hr just to gather the baby paraphernalia necessary for a trip to DQ, I was quite overwhelmed at the prospect of gathering a month's worth of necessitites (let alone condensing it enough to fit in our little honda). D and I joked about how if it was just the 2 of us, we could've hitch-hiked up here, since our stuff fit comfortably in one suitcase. But, alas, babies need stuff and a lot of it!

All loaded up and ready to go!
 D started at the hospital yesterday, so today is the second day K and I have been on our own in our new home in the 'burbs, and boy is it different than being snuggled right downtown in our little condo. Yesterday, we ran a few errands with the car, but for some reason K has decided he hates car rides and screams his little head off (complete with tears pouring down his cheeks) the entire time, so today we opted to walk/stroll around the neighbourhood.

I must say, I don't think I'm cut out for the burbs'. There is sooo little action.. so few opportunities for people watching. I know some of you must be thinking "woah wait a minute, you grew up in the middle of a field, and you're saying the burbs' are lame?!". To that I will answer, heck yes! This afternoon, I decided to walk to the mall (~20 minutes away). I passed a total of 2 people en route, and neither of them were walking because they wanted to. In fact, I overheard both complaining about how a mother/brother/sister/husband needed to use the car, so they were stuck walking. Stuck walking?! Never have I lived somewhere that boasts miles and miles of pristine sidewalk with not a soul wanting to walk on it! I thought back to myself 2 weeks ago, looking down at poor K as I bumped, and skidded and jiggled across the streetcar tracks and down the obstacle course known as the sidewalks of downtown Toronto. I recall wishing and praying for a smooth section of pavement to give K a break from the constant brain trauma which is our afternoon stroll! Now here we are, strolling down a smooth stretch of sidewalk with perfect "baby sleep inducing" crack spacing and there is no one around for me to smile at, be surprised at, admire, judge, laugh at or cry with. Talk about a boring walk! The only saving grace was the view on the way home!
The beautiful rolling countryside in the distance
(not a skyscraper in sight)

Really enjoying the unlimited play space!
On the plus side, K, D and I have never had so much space at our disposal. Our basement apt is probably close to 800sq/ft! Our living room (yes, it's a seperate room) doesn't have to look like an unregistered day care anymore, since we can put most of K's toys and gear in the den (yes also a seperate den.. haha). Also, we have the benefit of having our aunt as the land lady, so we can hang out upstairs and out on her beautiful deck as well.
Speaking of the deck, K just woke up from his afternoon nap so I think the 2 of us will head upstairs to get some much needed vitamin D! Now that we're settled in, look forward to hearing about more of our "Barrie" Fun adventures... Get what I just did there. Haha

Until next time!

-A





No comments:

Post a Comment